Tuesday, November 3, 2009

I'm not crazy...other people are

Over the years, starting when my first book came out, people always ask me why I choose to write about the topics I choose to write about. And then after they read the books they would tell me they were a little worried. Let's face it...if you have read my books, especially the last one, you know that they are pretty dark. But rest assured, I'm perfectly normal.

But while I will readily acknowledge that my books are a little on the dark side, you would also have to admit the they deal with real issues that happen every single day.

Case and point: I just read a story on cnn.com today about a 15-year-old boy who was doused with alcohol and then set on fire by a group of his peers because he reported them for stealing his father's bike. They called themselves punishing him for being a "snitch".




Click here to read the story: http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/11/02/teen.burned.recovery/index.html

Not to mention the group of teens in Chicago who beat the young honor roll student to death in the middle of the street while dozens of others watched and, even worse, video taped it.



And the list goes on and on. I'm not crazy...I don't make this stuff up. While my stories are fiction in premise, the stories themselves happen all the time. Just turn on the news on any given day.

Truth is stranger than fiction, people. We are living in a day and age where compassion and empathy have all but become a thing of the past. It used to be that you'd turn on the news and see adults doing crazy things, now the kids seem to have them beat.

Something has got to change. Me personally, I write my stories because the things I see that happen in the world sometimes bother me so much that writing is the only way for me to make sense of it all. But one thing is for sure...I'm never at a loss for material.

Until next time, keep praying and be blessed.


www.black-smithenterprises.com
www.frontpageconnect.com

No comments: