Friday, May 7, 2010

Motherhood



Motherhood has taught me a lot of things. Among them are the facts that I am impervious to being peed, thrown up and bled on; my tolerance for noise, dirt and having to share EVERYTHING I even think about putting in my mouth is much higher than I ever thought it could ever be; my parents were geniuses; and my capacity to love is far greater than any amount of anything that could ever be measured by human standards.

Being a mother has made me understand just how blessed I am to have had two amazing women in my life that I call mother: my birth mother and my step mother. Both women have played a pivotal role in the woman that I have become and they have taught me what it is to be a woman who understands the true meaning of what it is to carry the title of "mother".


Motherhood means sacrifice. Mother means worrying. Motherhood means being leery of everything and everyone that crosses her child's path. Motherhood means running out to buy last minute supplies for projects that are due tomorrow that you just heard about today. Motherhood means not being able to go to the bathroom without having someone sticking their little fingers under the door or banging on it to see if you're almost finished.

Motherhood means seeing the anger in your child's eyes when you tell them no, and being strong enough to endure it because you know that at the end of the day you're saving them a lot more hurt than they are bestowing upon you with their angry silence. Motherhood means knowing when to push and when to give them space to become their own person. Motherhood means loving unconditionally.

Through laughter, lessons, tears, disappointments and everything in between motherhood is the foundation of each and every life on this earth. One's relationship with their mother is all encompassing of so many other things in life, that it shapes the course of who that child will ultimately become. Motherhood is a thing to be cherished, recognized and appreciated.

So with that being said I want to thank my mothers for the sacrifices that they have made for my life. Through the ups and the downs, the back talk and the know-it-allness that was I; they are all that I have ever needed them to be and more, and I want them to know how much I love and appreciate them.

As for my journey with this thing called motherhood, I pray that God will bless me with the wisdom and strength I need to be as much of a blessing to my children as my mothers have been to me.

Happy Mother's Day to all you hard-working, tireless, driven and beautiful women out there! Enjoy your day and remember...you don't have to share your food on Mother's Day because it's your special day. Tell them to get their own plate!

Blessings!

www.black-smithenterprises.com
Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/janayablack

No comments: