Thursday, December 17, 2009

Please No More Reality Dating...

Ok, so now so close on the heels of my kudos to television for actually putting on some quality programming, now I have to come back and bash them again.




The other night (I guess I had to be really bored) I turned the TV on and the reality show For the Love of Ray J was on. Now for the record, I have always thought that Brandy's little brother was cute and even went as far as to like a few of his songs. But after watching his show I completely lost any positive trace of anything I may have had toward him in the past.


This show, just like every other show of its kind, is superficial, raunchy and degrading to women. But due to the fact that several people I know said it was actually pretty good, I decided to give it a shot. Needless to say it ended up being another case of 'I should have went with my first instinct'.

For the life of me, I can't understand why these beautiful, and seemingly intelligent, young women would allow themselves to be exploited and degraded on national television just for the sake of obtaining a man. A man that they know will be slobbin' down and sexin' every other girl in the house right under their noses and in many cases right in front of their faces. I don't know maybe it's just me, but I don't want nobody coming to stick their tongue in my mouth after he just got done swapping spit with some other random chick. That is beyond nasty.

Not only do these women shamelessly throw themselves at this man, but he also had them running all over town inhaling chili and onion covered hot dogs, followed by grueling athletic challenges just to be the first obtain clues to get to him in hopes of getting a coveted 1 on 1 date. One girl even commented that she would eat crap if he told her to. Then another girl kept crying every 15 minutes because...well I can't say that I really know why she kept crying. I swear it was like watching train wreck that you just can't turn away from.

At 32 years old, I still consider myself to be pretty young. With that said, I can honestly say that I don't think it was all that long ago that respect for one's self was something that was taught at home. To this day my parents would collectively take turns breaking their foot off in my behind if they saw me on TV chasing after some man like I didn't have any type of home training.

Watching Brandy grow up through the years and blossom into the woman that she has become, it seemed like their parents had instilled some good moral values into them. How Ray J ended playing the role of the "playboy" just doesn't seem to fit.

Whatever the case may be, my one encounter with For the Love of Ray J, and all the other VH-1 and MTV matchmaker smut shows, was enough to last a life time. I just hope that one day soon, these women will wake up and realize that they are worth more than how they are allowing themselves to be treated.

No comments: