Tuesday, December 22, 2009

This Christmas

I have to admit that this holiday season is turning out to be a little bittersweet for me.

As I watch my children's excitement grow as they count down the days until Christmas and they can open their presents, I can't help but catch their enthusiasm because, let's face it, it's contagious.

But after the excitement dies down, this year especially, I am overwhelmed with the heaviness of missing my grandmother. Delores J. Hart-Washington was her name.

I don't know about a lot of you, but my grandmother was my everything. She was beautiful, kind, loving, funny and could cook like you wouldn't believe! And she had this uncanny way of making everything, no matter how big of an undertaking it was, seem so easy. Her strength was amazing.

And no matter what was going on in my life, it wasn't complete until I was able to share it with her. She would celebrate with me, vent with me, and always had a shoulder for me to cry on. My grandmother was my champion, and she made me believe that there wasn't anything in this world that I couldn't do if I wanted to.

And since she's been gone, it's like every time the holidays, or any special occasion, rolls around I just have to try to push past a certain sadness that creeps into my heart despite my best efforts to tell myself that she's in a better place. Even though I know that she's in a better place, my selfishness wishes that she could still be here with me.

I guess I'm just saying all this to say, this Christmas really take the time to enjoy and appreciate your family. All too often we take each other for granted or let petty stuff cause us to drift apart, and for what? Nothing. Give your loved ones their flowers while they are still able to enjoy them.

So if you are harboring a grudge, let it go. If you are ashamed of something from your past that is keeping you from your family, let it go. If you have unspoken issues that need to be addressed, speak on it and then let it go. If somebody owes you money, tell them Merry Christmas and write it off as a loss and let-it-go. Life is too short.

Have a blessed and Merry Christmas.
www.black-smithenterprises.com

No comments: