Monday, October 25, 2010

Movie Review: RED


I went to see Bruce Willis' new movie RED this past weekend and I have two words for it: LOVE IT!

First off I have to say, I am a huge action movie fan and I love Bruce Willis in action movies. With that said, here we go...

RED centers on the life of Frank Moses, a retired CIA agent, who has settled into a life of "normalcy" with his nice cushy pension and a phone crush on his hopelessly romantic case worker Sara, until one day the powers-that-be decide that he's too dangerous to be allowed to live.

So what ensues is a mad dash for Moses to get out of dodge, make a connection with his phone crush to save her life and find out why the government wants him dead, which ultimately leads to him rounding up an old (literally) group of friends/ex-agents for help. And needless to say that as they search for answers, all hell breaks loose.

While the premise of the film was far from being original, I found the storyline to be very entertaining and comical all at the same time. Willis and the mature all-star cast, which consisted of Morgan Freeman, Mary-Louise Parker, John Malkovich and  Helen Mirren, had a great chemistry which made this movie work.  Ever since his Die Hard days,  Bruce Willis, and his signature dry sense of humor, has always been able to carry off his "kick-anus-now-and-ask-questions-later" persona off with the utmost believability.

If you love high tech espionage, laced with plenty of fight sequences and explosions, then you too will be pleased with this flick. And I have to say that it was really cool to see the older action heroes get to kick butt for change.

So overall, I give RED a solid A. For the first time in a good while, I wasn't disappointed that I had to actually pay to go to see a film at the movies.

No comments: