Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Review- The Nature of a Woman



I just finished reading a book called The Nature of a Woman by Sylvester Stephens and I have to say that I am so happy to see that Zane is doing her thing in the publishing world and expanding her horizons.

The Nature of a Woman was the tale of Dr. Johnny Forrester, a psychologist who struggles with a condition known erotomania, or nymphomania as it more commonly called. No surprise there. But this man, believing that he has beaten his addiction to sex goes on to open his own practice, gets remarried and tries to life a respectable life as an adoring husband and father.

But as Dr. Forrester attempts to run his life and business without incident, he finds his world in chaos after losing the battle of temptation to a sexy star who just won't take no for an answer. And amidst all of that, he tries to balance a roster of interesting patients that range from bulimic to schizo to paranoid while learning the important lesson of how to decipher the nature of women.

As we go with the good Dr. on his journey of debauchery, somebody ultimately ends up dead, and from there the who-dun-it aspect comes into play; and just like that you have a mystery on your hands.

Now let me say that overall I really liked the book. In addition to some very intriguing plot points it really gave some interesting insight to how psychology works, and if you've ever read any of my books you know I like to explore the crazy things that people do. It had me staying up late nights to try to hurry up and get to the end to find out who the killer was. But guess what? He never tells you! I really can't express how mad I was at the end of this book!

I absolutely, positively hate, hate, hate it when a story does not get resolved at the end. I mean, yes, I do understand that some writer's like to leave cliff hangers but it's just wrong to leave a reader hanging on the very thing that drove the whole story in the first place!

Needless to say, even though I thought the book was good, I felt really cheated after I finished that book.

But nevertheless, The Nature of a Woman is still a good book to cuddle up with if you're looking for a book to keep warm with this winter.

www.black-smithenterprises.com
www.twitter.com/janayablack

1 comment:

Allison said...

I felt the same way after reading the book. He starts off by saying, he gets a text from a restricted number which read they were sorry he paid for their crime. Then he goes on to say, He looks over at Kimberly sliding her cell phone back in her pocket then she noddeds while going up the step. Ok did she have multipile personality disorder, what she faking or what? He indicates that the person that walks back to the door is FINE! She wasn't acting crazy or anything. What is Alicia? She was acting weird about going to see Kimberly! I mean come on. Why would you leave a books ending this way. Disappointed!!!