Monday, May 24, 2010

High Heals: Bad for Your Sexy


Ladies, as much as we love to strut our stuff in those 6-inch stilettos that make our calves look oh-so-lovely and allow us to accentuate that subtle swing in our hips, it's true that look you love could be bad for you in more ways than one.

For me, being the eternal Tom-boy at heart, I don't understand how some women can sport heels as everyday, all day, footwear for shopping, dancing, lounging or whatever. I'm mean, sure I wear heels just like any other woman to complete my going out wears, but trust, after about an hour I'm stomping around like a horse with a thumb tack in its hoof...it's not pretty.

Anyway, since I have decided in my more mature years that I simply refuse to be uncomfortable for the sake of looking good, I thought I would share some of my research with my fellow woman-kind.

1- Constant wearing of high heels over a long period of time (years) can cause your ligaments to become inflamed. It can also cause your Achilles tendon to shorten thereby making it difficult to walk normal when not in heels.

2- Cramming your foot into those pointy shoes can cause bunions, corns, hammertoes, and ingrown toenails. (I threw up in my mouth a little just looking at those.)



3- Due to the unnatural way you have to stand in heels, it forces you to make adjustments to how you stand and balance yourself. This causes bad posture which in turn can lead to lower back and leg pain.

4- In addition to the above listed conditions, according to www.personalhealthzone.com, wearing heels puts extra strain on the knee joints and tendons that run from the thigh to the knee cap due to the thigh muscles having to work harder.

They stated that over time the increased pressure on the knees can lead to osteoarthritis, which develops when the cartilage at the end of bones and joints wears away. And if you know like I know by living vicariously through grandparents and other elder relatives, arthritis of any kind is painful.



So at the end of the day, you have to ask yourself: Is it really worth it? I think not; especially with all the other alternatives that are available.


Even after saying all of that, I'm sure some of you will gladly suffer in silence for the thrill of having the privilege of rocking the latest Prada, Gucci, or D&G slingbacks or stilettos, but not the kid!

Me, I'll be happily running the streets in my flats, gym shoes, and sandals. So while I may be suga-sharp from my head to my ankles, rest assured your girl will be quite alright with the sideways glances because guess what...I'll be comfortable.

Contrary to popular belief, beauty does know pain and at the end of the day sometimes it's just not worth it.

Be blessed and stay healthy.

www.black-smithenterprises.com
Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/janayablack

2 comments:

Shai said...

Gurl, I started really wearing heels at 21. Now at almost 40, I learned not to wear them too much. I have alternated between low and high heels. I am a shoe addict so I love buying shoes. I see how many women's feet look bad after years of wear and tear, so I am preserving my feet. Plus, I am hard on shoes so when I get off work I usually put on a lower heel.

I just don't like how now they are marketing very high heels to teens. And how many women are in denial and wear ill-fitting shoes to be cute. Our bodies pay a price when we do that.

Janaya Black said...

I hear you, Shai! I know a lot of women who will grin and bear it just to be cute and that's exactly why I did this post. I just came to a point where I decided that comfort is much more important.